Lawyer Services and Payments is responsible for efficient and accurate payment of certificate accounts in accordance with the Legal Aid Services Act and the Legal Aid Tariff.
Reports to: Lawyer Manager, Lawyer Services and Payments
• Determine entitlement to, and amount of discretionary increases for, payment of fees in excess of tariff maximums
• Assess requests for disbursement funding for experts, transcripts and other third party expenses
• Review examined and/or settled accounts for adherence to LAO policies and standards and justify decisions made in response to lawyers’ inquiries regarding their accounts
• Maintain knowledge of criminal law, civil law, the Legal Aid Tariff, and other related LAO policies and procedures
• Prepare recommendations to the Directors General and Director of LSP with regard to the settlement of accounts over $20,000.00
• Act as a resource to Mid-Level Case Managers on tariff and billing issues
• Supporting Directors General and panel officers with panel management including identification of billing problems, correcting behaviour and supporting the panel removal process
• Providing training and billing support to service providers and other LAO departments
• Assessing and responding to client complaints regarding payment of lawyers’ accounts
• Managing costs and recoveries with the assistance of the Client Account Services department.
• Participate on project working groups for corporate and LSP initiatives related to fees and disbursements.
• Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
• Demonstrated experience conducting litigation with minimal support/guidance
• Good knowledge of the Legal Aid Tariff
• Excellent research analytical, writing and legal analysis skills
• Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel
Candidates should demonstrate:
• Openness to working in various areas of law, in different capacities, and potentially in various areas of the province.
• A commitment to social justice or public interest work.
• A sound knowledge of Legal Aid Ontario’s operations and mandate.
To apply submit a cover letter & résumé.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified by email.
This position is represented by the Society of United Professionals and the employee will be governed by the provisions of the collective agreement and union dues will be deducted bi-weekly from date of hire.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on Njoyn. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
First time applying to a position with LAO? You will need to create a profile AND then apply for the position.
Already have an Njoyn account? Just sign in and select "my jobs" to apply.
Once you have successfully applied you will receive a confirmation email.
Trouble applying? For telephone support please call 1-877-427-7717 or email support: firstname.lastname@example.org.