How does a Legal Counsel at TMX contribute?
You will be part of the TMX’s legal team in Montreal that provides the full suite of legal and business advisory services to MX and CDCC’s business lines, including a broad range of corporate and commercial matters. You will collaborate closely with various derivatives and securities regulators and partners in Canada and abroad, including the Autorité des marchés financiers, the Ontario Securities Commission, the Bank of Canada, and other regulators in the United States, Europe and Asia.
More specifically, you will:
○ Provide legal advice with respect to the development of new derivatives and other products and services and ensuring new products comply with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements
○ Negotiate, draft and interpret a broad variety of commercial agreements, and advise, in coordination with other TMX lawyers, on areas that include corporate, securities, and intellectual property law
○ Draft trading and clearing rules, policies and procedures to support new and existing derivatives and other products and services, in close cooperation with the business groups
○ Support the businesses’ compliance with their regulatory obligations, including acquiring and maintaining required status as an exchange and clearinghouse in Canada and internationally
○ Manage various regulatory filings
○ Prepare documentation required for rule changes
○ Lead all aspects of the preparation of materials for board and committee meetings
○ Maintain current knowledge of Canadian and international legal developments, regulatory requirements and market standards which are relevant to MX and CDCC’s business lines
○ Assist with advocacy initiatives in areas of regulatory reform relevant to the business
○ Provide legal support to other TMX Group entities as the need arises
The ability to rapidly develop positive relationships, to make meaningful contributions to a team and to effectively align a broad range of key partners’ interests will be key to success in this role
What do you bring to the role?
● University law degree
● Member in good standing of the Quebec Bar
● 2 to 4 years’ experience as a well-rounded corporate/commercial/securities/finance lawyer with a top tier law firm or in-house at a financial services institution or investment firm
● Strong background in commercial or securities law and in dealing with securities and other regulators
● Experience in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements
● Experience with options and/or futures, derivatives or structured finance, cross border transactions and IP will be regarded as an asset
● Fully bilingual (French-English), spoken and written
● Effective teammate, with a “business partner” approach to servicing clients
● Excellent analytical skills and sound legal/business judgment
● Result-oriented, client focussed and practical
● Performance-driven, proactive and engaged
● Outstanding professionalism, work ethic and integrity
● Ability to take on responsibilities autonomously and to manage numerous priorities optimally
● Thrive in constantly evolving environment
● Interest in derivatives, capital markets, new regulatory developments and financial innovation
Le Groupe TMX s’est engagé à créer et à maintenir un milieu de travail empreint de collaboration au sein duquel chacun est traité avec dignité et respect, et qui reflète la diversité de la collectivité où nous exerçons nos activités. Nous mettons en place des mesures d’adaptation pour les candidats et les employés qui en ont besoin.