City Lima, Peru
Start Date Dec 2018 - Feb 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer's Role
Cuso International is looking for a volunteer passionate about the rights of women and girls!
During this placement, you will provide technical assistance to DEMUS in strategic litigation and cases that they sponsor in order to recognize women's fundamental rights, such as living a life free of violence and discrimination. DEMUS carries out a psycho-legal assistance to their emblematic cases, which allows victims to become spokespersons for the rights of women and girls.
With your knowledge and experience, you'll support causes to advance the full rights for women. You can learn more about the cases here: http://www.demus.org.pe/casos-emblematicos/
As a volunteer, you will:
- Provide technical assistance for legal argument of emblematic cases in different judiciary bodies.
- Develop case studies on successful emblematic litigation.
- Provide support for national and international publications on cases.
- Support DEMUS and Cuso International on lessons learned for work in defense of women's rights.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in law, sociology or related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in judicial processes.
- Knowledge and commitment to gender equality.
- Experience writing/editing reports and publications.
- Ability to work under pressure and demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months