Job Posting #876465Position: Legal CounselSite: MaRS Discovery TowerDepartment: Grand Challenges Canada Reports to: Senior Legal Counsel Status: Permanent Full-timeGrand Challenges Canada is dedicated to supporting Bold Ideas with Big Impact®. Funded
Req ID: 16244 Vacancy Type: Temporary Contract Duration: 12 months Number of Positions: 1 Closing Date: 06/08/2021 Job SummaryWorking for the City means you are part of something big, something special! You will be part of a team
Job SummaryWith moderate direction, represents the Company´s insureds in all phases of litigation for matters of moderate technical complexity. Engages in the practice of law and the representation of Zurich insureds to protect their
The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy.
Company SummaryCome work for a company that’s committed to the success of each and every employee. A place where innovators and collaborators come together and build on each other’s talents. FCT provides industry-leading title insurance, default
Ontario Land Tribunals Counsel
The Ontario Land Tribunals (OLT) is a cluster of 5 boards and tribunals with a mandate to dispose of appeals and disputes related to land use planning, expropriation, environmental and heritage protection. The tribunals that comprise OLT are the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, the Board of Negotiation, the Conservation Review Board, the Environmental Review Tribunal and the Mining and Lands Tribunal.
The OLT requires a lawyer who has direct experience working for, or appearing before, the tribunals that comprise OLT, with demonstrated knowledge of land use planning and development, environmental law, land compensation, and administrative law.
Note: It is mandatory to quote the Job ID on the subject line of your email and your application.
What can I expect to do in this role?
The successful candidate will join the OLT team of lawyers delivering quality legal advice in support of OLT's mandate to deliver fair, efficient and effective legal services to all tribunals that comprise OLT. Duties will include:
• Working as a team member in the OLT legal division within a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment
• Providing expert advice on a broad range of land use planning and development law, which includes environmental and heritage protection, financial or land valuation claims, aggregate resource planning or disputes over certain decisions made by conservation authorities
• Drafting rules of practice and procedure, or informational materials for use by the public
• Preparing, presenting and updating educational materials for adjudicators and OLT staff
• When appropriate, reviewing draft decisions at the request of an adjudicator
• Appearing before the Divisional Court on behalf of the OLT on leave motions, appeals or applications for judication review
How do I qualify?
• Membership in good standing as a lawyer with the Law Society of Ontario
Knowledge and Skills
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the role and function of quasi-judicial decision-makers and administrative tribunals
• Demonstrated knowledge of administrative law and practice
• Specialized knowledge of land use planning, land compensation, environmental and heritage protection legislation, and other relevant statutes and functions of all tribunals that comprise the OLT
• In-depth knowledge of the municipal planning and land development process
• Proven judgment, political acuity with a solution-oriented disposition
• Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
• Proven ability to work effectively within a team and produce high-quality work under tight deadlines with changing and competing demands
• Demonstrated legal research and writing skills within the specialized mandate of the OLT
• Practical knowledge of litigation advocacy related to judicial reviews and statutory leave motions or appeals
Salary: Commensurate with Legal Experience
· In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
· Your application sent via method one must be sent as an attachment in either MS Word (.doc, .docx), PDF (.pdf), Rich Text (.rtf) or Plain Text (.txt) format, less than 2MB in size and must not be password protected.
Please apply by Friday, December 4, 2020, quoting Job ID 157703, to: Legal Recruitment Coordinator, Ministry of the Attorney General. E-mail: ****.**.************@*******.**. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario's Human Rights Code.