Location Yangon, Myanmar
Start Date Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer's Role
The purpose of this placement is to support our partner in Myanmar, Tharthi Myay Foundation regarding their grantees and community partners through training and mentoring. This will include the development of skills and knowledge related to Gender Based Violence (GBV) and other legal issues that impact women and human rights. The volunteer will also support the capacity building and research (including case documentation and analysis) training for organizations focusing in those areas. The volunteer will work through litigation options together with Civil Society Organizations and lawyers who are working on these issues. S/he will encourage collaborative efforts among these groups.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Provide training on legal issues related to GBV and other legal issues that impact women. This will include training on the proposed domestic violence law and, in case it gets ratified, strategies for effectively utilizing this legal tool to prevent violence and strengthen remedies for survivors.
- Provide capacity building skills for law firms and legal resource centers, especially related to organization development and legal practice
- Assist law firms and CSOs to document activities and results in gender-based violence and related public interest cases.
- Coordinate and facilitate research related to women's access to justice in Myanmar. Train grantees on research skills.
- Provide support to Tharthi Myay Foundation's Rule of Law and Gender staff. Provide informal evaluation of staff. Discuss the next steps after the project is over.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
University Degree in Law
Essential Professional Background:
- At least 5 years of legal practice, including practice management
- Work experience on GBV and/or human rights
- Gender mainstreaming/sensitivity understanding and work experience
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
More placements: www.cusointernational.org/placements
Location Lima, Peru Start Date May - Jul 2018 (flexible) Length of Placement 12 Months Language Requirements Spanish Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only