Help make a difference for Canadians. CMHC’s aspiration is that by 2030, everyone in Canada has a home that they can afford and that meets their needs. All of our programs and activities support this singular goal.
We’re constantly evolving to build an inclusive housing system through research, design, innovation and partnerships. As a member of the Legal Services team, you will support in providing legal services and advice to business partners on a broad range of matters in order to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Corporation. You will establish and maintain positive on-going relationships with business partners and teammates in the provision of legal services under tight deadlines and turnaround times. You will help us make housing affordable for everyone in Canada.
We are currently hiring 2 Articling Students to commence their articling term in August, 2021.
•As an articling student, you will gain practical experience in a wide diversity of legal practice areas including mortgage enforcement, commercial contracts, real estate financing, advocacy, privacy, and emerging technology and data governance.
•Students will have the opportunity to rotate through the various CMHC’s practice teams in the Legal Services Division, including:
•Support lawyers in providing legal advice to business partners or other CMHC staff on a wide range of operational and strategic matters, policies and programs.
•Assist lawyers in drafting and advising on agreements and other legal documents and arrangements to support corporate activities and strategic direction.
•Conduct legal research in support of the delivery of legal services.
•Support lawyers in liaising with business lines and management to identify potential legal risks and risk mitigation strategies, and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
•Assist with the legal knowledge management process by identifying, analyzing and reporting on material legal developments.
•Support lawyers in instructing and managing outside counsel on matters assigned, including litigation.
• You must be eligible to article in the Province of Quebec or Ontario and have completed a law degree program (J.D., LL.B., LL.L) or a Certificate of Qualification from the National Committee on Accreditation.
• Good academic results in law school.
• Combination of relevant education, work, training, volunteering, or other experiences.
• Demonstrated experience conducting legal research and analysis.
• Demonstrated experience in managing multiple files.
• Strong ability to interpret and communicate effectively complex legal matters, both written and verbal.
• Solid analytical and conceptual skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills including tact and judgement in order to liaise with clients.
• A commitment to demonstrating CMHC values, and a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
Documents to Submit
• Cover letter (Note: this will be used to assess your communication and writing skills).
• Copy of your most recent official law school transcript
CMHC is an employer that values diversity and encourages the learning and use of both Canada's officiallanguages. CMHC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages application from women,Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities
Posting closing date: Note, the competition may remain active until filled.
CMHC values diverse backgrounds and experience and welcomes non-Canadians who are eligible to work in Canada to apply!
We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest, however, please note that only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. If selected for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
Job Requisition ID: 5353
Travel Requirement: Travel not required
Office Location: Ottawa (ON); Toronto (ON)